Patriots are excited to have Major League infielder Rey Navarro (seen above) join the team!
BRIDGEWATER, N.J.-- The Somerset Patriots will officially open their 2019 season at home on Saturday, April 27th with a 3:00 PM and 7:05 pm game against the New Britain Bees.
A post game fireworks celebration is planned at TD Bank Ballpark, helping to provide a perfect setting for the opening game.
The Bees will then stay in town for two more games on Saturday evening at 7:05 pm and Sunday afternoon at 1:05 pm.
Following that series, the Patriots will then take on the High Point Rockers in a set of three evening games, starting at 6:35 p.m, on April 29th, 30th, and May 1st, before hitting the road for the team’s first trip to the Bees followed by the York Revolution (six games).
The Patriots will return home on May 9th, to take on the Lancaster Barnstormers (see the entire 2019 season schedule here).
One player the Patriots are excited to have join the team is Major League infielder Rey Navarro.
Navarro enters his first season with the Somerset Patriots and second season in the Atlantic League
He briefly played for the Sugar Land Skeeters in 2018 and hit .545 with two home runs before having his contract purchased by the New York Yankees.
Navarro has Major League service with the Baltimore Orioles, where he appeared in ten games during the 2015 season.
For his MLB career, Navarro has a .276 batting average with five runs scored, eight hits, two doubles, a home run and three RBI.
The Caguas, Puerto Rico native’s baseball career began back in 2007 as a third-round pick of the Arizona Diamondbacks. He would complete three years of service with the organization before getting traded to the Kansas City Royals in 2010.
He spent the 2018 season at the Double-A level for the Seattle Mariners and Yankees organizations. In 2017, Navarro had a strong year at Triple-A Salt Lake, posting a .278 average with 137 hits, seven home runs and 82 RBI.
Navarro also has minor league service with the Cincinnati Reds and Los Angeles Angels. Over 1,224 minor league games, Navarro owns a .263 average with 72 home runs, 516 RBI and 88 stolen bases.
Did you know your Somerset Patriots:
- Were established in 1998 as a founding member of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball.
- Drew more than 7,000,000 fans since opening TD Bank Ballpark in June of 1999.
- Average more than 360,000 fans per season and over 5,200 fans per game in attendance.
- Are 6-Time Atlantic League Champions in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, and 2015.
- Have a total of more than 1,500 Regular Season Wins and 14 Playoff appearances.
- Had New York Yankees great Sparky Lyle as their manager from 1998-2012. (Lyle still serves as the team's Manager Emeritus.)
- Are currently managed by the 2015 Atlantic League Manager of the Year, Brett Jodie.
- Have raised millions of dollars for charities throughout the area.
- Have 20 former players that have made it to Major League Baseball, in all.
- Hold a leadership role in the new Atlantic League Major League Baseball Partnership.
About the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball (ALPB): With eight teams in the Mid-Atlantic and Texas, the ALPB is a leader in baseball innovation and a player gateway to Major League Baseball. Through its exclusive partnership with MLB, the Atlantic League tests Major League Baseball rules and equipment initiatives. The Atlantic League has sent over 900 players to MLB organizations while drawing more than 40 million fans to its affordable, family-friendly ballparks throughout its 22-year history.
Please visit www.atlanticleague.com